Sunday, September 19, 2010

When Tuscan Meets Debi

Do you remember the old Reese Cup Candy Commercials? “You got your chocolate in my peanut butter.” “You got your peanut butter in my chocolate”. That is what my coffee cup collection reminds me of.

I love Tuscan/Mediterranean architecture and décor. I love the stucco and plaster as well as the open spaces and rounded features. I just really like everything about it. Having been an architectural drafter (professionally) I have designed many Tuscan/Mediterranean “dream” homes that I would like to live in.

When I was thinking about creating the Coffee Cup Collection I knew I wanted to do it in the Tuscan/Mediterranean style. I first created the backgrounds which was easy to do in the Tuscan style. But then when I went to design the individual cups something happened. You see none of my art style is of the Tuscan style. About 90% of my art is bright tropical colors with whimsical designs, (not at all typical of traditional Tuscan design). At first I started to scrap everything and start over, but instead I decided to preserver on and see what happens.

After I had completed the designs and I was looking at them and it was very apparent to me there were two distinctly different styles of art in each piece. That is when the old Reese Cup commercial popped in my head. I thought to myself, ‘well I guess this is what you get when you mix Tuscan Design with Debi Payne Designs’. At least I can say I don’t think this version of Tuscan has been done before.


Espresso Poster print
Espresso Poster by debipayne
Browse other prints & posters at zazzle.com


2 comments: