Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I See You Laughing Too!

Laughing Squirrel is one of my most popular designs. It seems like almost every day somebody is checking him out. I have been very surprised by the popularity of this little guy!


Laughing Squirrel is actually just a single element from a much larger picture that I created about a year ago for my little Grandson, Conner.

I wanted to take a photograph of Conner and create a drawing around his photograph so that it would look like he was in a fairy tale storybook.

This is the photograph that I selected to use. It is a picture of Conner at his 3rd Birthday Party. He had just opened a present and gotten a big balloon that he was very excited about.


I first extracted Conner from the photo. I then began drawing the different elements that I wanted to have in the final drawing. I knew that I wanted an open field scene with different forest type animals around Conner.

I first drew each individual animal and then scanned it into the computer. Once on the computer, I then refined the lines and colored each drawing. When I had completed each element I put them all together to get this final picture:


When Conner first saw the picture, he was confused. After his dad slowly explained the picture to him, Conner started laughing and saying “I’m holding a bird”! His two favorite parts of the picture are #1 - he is holding a bird and #2 – the laughing squirrel. Conner thinks it is funny that the squirrel is laughing at him.

So Conner, this one is for you!

2 comments:

  1. Love the story and the entire design. Conner is so adorable too. Wishing you many sales of the laughing squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Exit! This is my favorite! I wonder why???? So, now when you see the Laughing Squirrel you will think about this story too!

    ReplyDelete